Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities involving the completion of production requirements for reports and other batch processing services provided by a computer operating system. This includes operation of a variety of data processing equipment, terminals, printers, consoles or other peripheral devices in support of computer production requirements, reviewing and analyzing job requests submitted by users, determining production requirements, conferring with users concerning scheduling as needed, monitoring jobs in process to insure proper completion, releasing jobs, opening and closing data bases, monitoring jobs within the central processing unit, identifying problems, operating and maintaining data center hardware and environmental support equipment, initiating corrective actions as required, and maintaining tapes, discs, production manuals and other materials to support production requirements.
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
- Reviews and documents user requests or other requirements for batch processing and production of reports, letters, forms or other documents; determines priority for completion; confers with users on scheduling priorities as needed.
- Operates all types, sizes and configurations of computer processors, including peripheral equipment such as consoles, terminals, disc drives, high speed printers, LAN servers, modems, directors, channel extension devices, network attached personal computers, UPS equipment and other equipment in accordance with program instructions for various jobs; selects correct recording media, paper, consumable supplies and operational processes; monitors job production, identifies problems and initiates appropriate corrective action.
- Selects correct input and output media; performs pre-audit of data; prepares language in programs; schedules proper job mix; makes decisions on releasing jobs, opening and closing data bases, and other required actions; performs post-audits of completed work; resolves any unexpected process outcomes; prepares completed work for distribution or verification.
- Completes standard file recovery procedures when files are lost due to system failures or malfunctions; documents equipment or network malfunctions and problems and actions taken.
- Completes and maintains network connectivity and function, addressing of controller/director configurations, and IPLs of various controller equipment; completes regularly scheduled systems checks of UPS, fire prevention systems, water detection systems, generator systems, chiller systems, and physical security systems and documents current conditions.
- Documents and prepares operational files/manuals of applications, hardware and software processes; catalogs and maintains library of tapes, discs, and other materials to support data processing production requirements.
- Reviews computer output data; verifies conformity with user requests; validates data; provides supervision and training to assigned staff in completing production requirements.
This job family consists of five levels which are distinguished based on complexity of work, experience required to complete work assignments, and the responsibility for supervision of others.
Level I: Code: B10A Salary Band: E
This is the basic apprentice level of the Computer Operations job family where employees are assigned entry level work involving the completion of various routine tasks related to production processing and operating computer equipment in a training status to increase their skills in completing various tasks related to the operation of various devices and equipment or completion of other production requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of various types of computers and peripheral equipment; and of various types of reports and other data that can be produced. Ability is required to follow technical instructions; and to communicate effectively with others.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of the completion of three semester hours of computer science or management information systems course work or an equivalent technical or vocational training course or six months of experience in the operation of data processing equipment, production scheduling, maintenance of a data library, or closely related work.
Level II: Code: B10B Salary Band: F
At this level employees are assigned advanced level apprentice responsibilities for assisting in the completion of required scheduling or operating functions related to the completion of production or batch processing requirements to further increase their skills in the operation of computer production equipment or production processing requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level are the same as those identified in Level I plus demonstrated ability to schedule and complete various production requirements, and operate various types of computer equipment in performing various functions and activities.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified in Level I plus one additional year of experience in the operation of data processing equipment, production scheduling and maintenance of a data library or closely related work.
Level III: Code: B10C Salary Band: G
This is the career level of this job family where employees are assigned responsibilities at the full performance level for completing required scheduling or operating functions related to the completion of production or batch processing requirements. Some responsibilities may be assigned for assisting in the training of other employees or serving as a lead worker in the absence of the supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level are the same as those identified for Level I plus knowledge of local area network systems. Ability is required to perform independent work in scheduling and completing various production requirements or operating computer consoles or other equipment in performing various functions and activities.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified in Level II plus one additional year of experience in the operation of data processing equipment, production scheduling and maintenance of a data library or closely related work.
Level IV: Code: B10D Salary Band: H
This is the specialist level of this job family where employees are assigned responsibility for performing advanced level work requiring the application of advanced knowledge and skills in completing production requirements or resolving systems failures or malfunctions. This includes positions such as those which are the only position on an assigned shift with independent responsibility for the completion of all production requirements, those which are assigned responsibility for serving as lead workers and providing functional supervision to other workers on an assigned shift, and positions which perform advanced level work in the maintenance or configuration of controllers and other production equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level are the same as those identified for Level III plus demonstrated ability to work independently and resolve a variety of problems involving computer operations or production scheduling.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified in Level III plus one additional year of qualifying experience.
Level V: Code: B10E Salary Band: I
This is the leadership level of this job family where employees are assigned responsibilities involving the supervision of others in completing various types of computer production requirements. This includes unit or shift supervisor positions responsible for assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of other schedulers or operators, providing training, insuring the completion of required work, performance evaluation, employee development, leave approval, disciplinary actions and other administrative tasks.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level IV plus knowledge of supervisory practices and principles and ability to assign and review the work of others.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified in Level IV.