Positions in this job family are responsible for researching, writing and editing various materials for media, and presenting information for a state agency.
The functions within this job family will vary by level, but may include the following:
- Establishes, develops and maintains contact with media, professional and civic organizations and other special interest groups to promote agency programs.
- Prepares, edits, coordinates and distributes news releases.
- Prepares speeches, agency newsletters, brochures, web pages, broadcast scripts and other agency informational releases; coordinates major public relations or advertising campaigns for the agency.
- Develops special educational and promotional materials for presentation at exhibits, fairs, festivals, conferences and schools; conducts tours of agency.
- Represents agency at civic and professional groups.
- Instructs, trains and may supervise the activities of others.
- Serves as photographer for an agency.
- Serves as project leader for special PR projects of an agency.
The Public Information Officer job family consists of three levels which are distinguished by the depth and breadth of accountability, the experience required to perform assigned duties, and the responsibility for the leadership of others.
LEVEL I: Code: E44A Salary Band: I
This is the career or full performance level where incumbents are expected to perform assigned duties at all levels of complexity.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include advanced knowledge of English usage, including grammar and composition; of public relations principles and techniques; of accepted styles for materials released to various media; of media sources and their capabilities; of visual graphics and video techniques; of agency's objectives; and of editing techniques and procedures. Ability is required to write and edit; to gather and organize pertinent data; to uphold and practice public relations principles and codes of ethics; to deliver informational presentations; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of a bachelor's degree in journalism, communication, marketing, English or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in writing and editing, radio and/or television, public relations or serving as a public information officer.
LEVEL II: Code: E44B Salary Band: J
This is the specialist level where incumbents are responsible for serving as a project manager or for performing advanced specialized duties such as consulting, desktop publishing, editing internal publications, or training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level consist of those identified in Level I plus knowledge of graphic terminology and techniques; of training principles and practices.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified in Level I plus one year of experience in writing and editing, radio and/or television, public relations or serving as a public information officer.
LEVEL III: Code: E44C Salary Band: K
This is the leadership level where incumbents will have oversight of day-to-day operations and will provide supervision to other staff or serve as lead worker and will assist with developing budgets and planning activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include those identified in Level II plus knowledge of supervisory principles and practices and ability to supervise the work of others.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of those identified in Level II plus one additional year of qualifying experience.
Some positions may require that applicants be willing and able to fulfill job-related travel normally associated with this position.